Monday, August 25, 2008

Too Busy to Travel

My son's first day of third grade was today and my daughter's first day of school, ever, is Wednesday. On the day in between, tomorrow, I need to squeeze in a business trip to NY. With all I have to remember with the first days of school, trying to create mind space and energy to get to the airport, go to an important meeting and get back in time to have a normal evening for my daughter, is a challenge to even the most expert of multi-taskers.

So, today: use crock pot to make dinner for tomorrow. Pack lunch tonight so husband does not have to in the a.m. Lay out son's clothes. Have son do homework for Wednesday. Get my clothes ready for 5 a.m. departure. Assure daughter I will be back in time for her big day. Work. Make dinner for tonight. Bedtime routine.

And, tomorrow: get up at 4:30. Leave for airport at 5. Catch 7 a.m. flight. Cab to Manhattan. Meetings from 10 until 3. Jump in car to race to airport for 4:30 flight. Pray that flight takes off on time, or close to it, so I can get home. Drive home from airport. Get home by 7. Pull dinner out of crock pot. Prepare daughter for first day of school and try to have a normal evening so she feels comfortable.

agh.............................

Better remember to grab a double espresso at the airport.

Any secrets to juggling school and business travel? They are welcome here.

No comments: